The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. Established in 2004, with the full approval of the Chinese Ministry of Education. Ningbo campus is run by The University of Nottingham with co-operation from Zhejiang Wanli Education Group, a key player in the education sector of China.
As part of its Strategy 2020 Campus experience developments, The University is committed to putting students at the centre of its activities. This includes providing a high standard of student support from the moment you apply to the University up to and after you graduate from the University. In line with its vision for 2020, University of Nottingham launched a brand new student service centre, “The Hub”- a one-stop solution for student enquiries and access to campus services.
Located in Room 120 in the Portland Building, close to Starbucks, The Hub provides services to all available undergraduate and taught Masters Students.
Considering the campus facilitates more than 6,000 students each year, the university wanted to streamline, improve, monitor and create seamless student experiences at the service centre.
Some of the challenges the University wanted to overcome were:
- Minimize long and un-explained waiting times.
- Streamline heavy student flow at the service centre by routing students to the right university representative.
- In order to make the experience more coherent with the changing mobile user, the University also required a solution which enabled its students to reserve their spot in the queue via a mobile application.
- Allow university representatives to see the number of students in wait and waiting times of each student from the computer screen located at their consultation desk.
- Alert management when waiting times exceed predetermined thresholds.
- Getting real-time student feedback on the services offered, and measuring the quality of support provided by university staff was also one of the key aspects of improving the overall student experience.